Pokemon Club Update

 This is an update for my monthly Pokemon Club that I started last October.


What is Pokemon Club?

It's a space for Pokemon fans to get together to trade cards and play games. 

New description: 

Take a break! Join us to meet new friends and play Pokemon together. Bring your cards and games and get ready to trade! We'll have a limited amount of Pokemon cards to hand out to start your collection. 

We're having a raid battle! Bring your best 2 Pokemon cards to try to take down giant Pikachu or Drednaw.

Please bring any materials to help support your experience and comfort. Registration is NOT required to attend.


What I did to prepare

Have have two people that have really helped to shape my event. One is a coworker from a library I used to work at that I reached out to when I found that that she was doing a similar event. She sent me a detailed email about how she runs her events. The main items I took away were a Pokemon Bingo and a printable activity from this website. I have an example of my bingo below. It has worked wonders! It gets kids to talk to each other, trade cards, and even check out books! I use a printable activity as a bingo square too and they're just fun to do. Thank you so much Pioneer buddy!

The second person is actually a guest that has attended my events a few times. This guest's family are huge Pokemon card fans. They buy new series on their release day. They were kind enough to show me a different way to play with cards and that's called a Raid Battle. If you've played Sword, Shield, Scarlet, Violet, or Pokemon Go then you already know what this is. Essentially, you have four people fight one giant Pokemon that has extra hit points and special ways to attack the players. The website where I found the rules had everything available to download for free. It was completely free to add this into my event! The kids have enjoyed playing so far and they get to cross off a tile on their bingo cards. I also allow the Pokemon Go players to do a raid with me in the app which allows them to cross off the same tile. 

Takeaway
Keep updating your events. I started changing things when I saw that my kids were getting bored only 30 minutes into the event. Now I have kids showing me their latest catches in Pokemon Go and parents telling me that their kids started reading the Pokemon manga because it was on their bingo card. I love Pokemon just as much as these kids and would have loved this event when I was their age. 























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dog Man Day

Scavenger Hunts

Take Home Kits for April - September